Date: May 29, 2012
Place: Hemming Plaza - Jacksonville, Florida
- Marissa Alexander is a victim of domestic violence who fired a warning shot into a wall because she was afraid of another attack by her abusive husband. NO ONE GOT HURT!
- A year earlier, an attack by her husband sent Marissa to emergency room and resulted in a restraining order against him. This was not his first domestic violence offense.
- Minutes before the incident, her husband told her “if I can’t have you, nobody is going to have you.” She shot at the wall as he approached her.
- Ms. Alexander was arrested for Aggravated Domestic Assault under Florida Statute 784.021(2), which is a third degree felony carrying a maximum possible sentence of five years in prison.
- Based on this charge, she probably would have received one year in the county jail because she had no prior criminal record.
Marissa desperately needs help paying legal expenses.